Friday, January 19, 2007

Everything isn't Political

It occurs to me that it has been a while since i've posted anything not slamming president bush so i thought i'd mention the fact that American Apparel has been sold to an investment company.

And for as popular as the company is among the young, hip and socially aware, i really thought it would make bigger news. Do you really think they're going to maintain their non-sweatshop standards with someone else calling the shots? Especially when that someone else has dollar signs in their eyes? The article says that the investment firm only had $125 million in assets but is paying 300 million + to buy American Apparel, so that makes me think they'll be looking to cut corners any way they can to get that money back.

I've never been a huge fan of American Apparel to be honest. Dov the owner goes out of his way to say how against sweatshops and exploitation he is and then pretty much sexually exploits young girls and his female employees. If you haven't read the Jane Magazine article on him yet, you might have a tough time finding it. I looked for an hour for the archive of it and it's gone. It's not even in the press archives of the American Apparel web sites, kinda interesting. The dude is kind of a scumbag at worst and a sexual deviant at best. Exploitation is exploitation.

Just a warning to those people doing business with them to keep an eye out on their standards and ethics. I have a feeling some changes could be happening soon. And most likely very quietly.

Update: Here are a few more links on Dov Charney, American Apparel's very interesting owner.
Malcolm Gladwell's take
Inc. Magazine story
20/20 Interview

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm definitely interested to see what happens with American Apparel. Never been a fan - especially after seeing their over priced trendy stores in every newly gentrified neighborhood in the U.S. and their super skinny model trade show reps at PPAI... hand picked by the boss, I'm sure. Though I guess I'm a hypocrite. I'm wearing my American Apparel track shirt I scored as a sample in Las Vegas as I write this blog, but hey it was free and I won't personally be using it with any of my clients any time soon so... can't let it go to waste. ;)

Anonymous said...

Damn it Adam. Don't tear down the fabric of my wardrobe without providing a viable alternative. So he is probably a douchebag, I buy into the socially aware aspect and turn my head at the sexplotation. Hypocritical...sure, but in the absence of another option I will continue to buy their incredibly soft and well fitting (for someone as skinny as myself) clothes.

Lewis Cash said...

Finally got a computer at school that can post comments on your blogs! Our whole district got Mac Books, hell yeah!

Very interesting point about the company being so against the exploitation against sweatshops, yet exploiting our very youth with sex. Not only the girls modeling the clothes, but what about the girls (and guys) who think that is what all girls should look like. It is extremely unhealthy, creating a unrealistic view for girls of what they should look like while making guys think that their girlfriends/wives are supposed to look like that. Absurd.

Kevo, great use of the pun ("fabric of my wardrobe") and a made up word ("sexplotation"). Very creative, can I still that word?